What is Arable Silage?
Western Seeds (WS) Arable Silage Mixtures are a blend of cereal and forage peas and are unique in the UK.
Highly recommended as a cover crop when reseeding a new grass ley, they work well with good (Organic or Conventional) arable/grass farm rotations.
They are designed to ensure the successful reseeding of a new ley in such a way that you get the full potential from the grass mixture sown, maximising profits over the length of the ley.
Our Arable Silage is NOT a wholecrop. This is a common misunderstanding.
Wholecrop is usually harvested in 15 to 16 weeks, when the grain is at milky stage. This is not good for re-seeding because the cereal cover is on the seedling grass for too long. The result is too much grass being lost due to lack of light and a thin weedy ley that doesn’t perform well.
We Provide Four Arable Silage Mixtures:
- REWARD - organic spring barley/spring forage pea mixture
- LIBERTY - organic spring oats/spring forage pea mixture
- DUET - conventional spring barley/spring forage pea mixture
- TRIUMPH - conventional spring oats/spring forage pea mixture
Download our brochure:
The Benefits of WS Arable Silage
Our Arable Silage mixtures produce very palatable high protein, high sugar forage with the following benefits:
- Harvested in just 9 to 10 weeks (approx. 35% DM), yielding 6 x 600 kilo (approx.) big bales per acre.
- No rats in the big bales or clamps – because there is no grain in the arable silage for them to eat
- Makes up for any loss of silage production when sowing grass in spring
- Allows you to produce a weed-free, thick, dense new ley which is clean (worm-free) in just 9-10 weeks
- You achieve better establishment of clover, especially red clover